Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Birthday Cake Evolution

So these are the birthday cakes I decorated for the twins' first birthday. No big deal -- easy for them to demolish, and they were too young to really understand fancy design elements on a cake anyway. (Lil' Maa-Maa's first cake looked just like these except for the initial.)


The next year, I branched out a little and made pick-up trucks for the twinlets. I wasn't thinking about Mater from Cars when I made them, but as soon as he saw his cake, ConMan yelled, "Mater!" and so that's what it was.


This year, I really got creative. The boys wanted a dragon cake, so I gave them a dragon cake. I know, I've got mad skills, right? Well, I do, but only with help. Check out Family Fun Magazine for some more cool cake ideas. It's a lot easier than it looks.


And now, for the piece de resistance (it's killing me that I don't know how to put an accent grave on the 1st "e" of "piece") . . . Lil' Maa-Maa's second birthday cake. I even made my own frosting. I'm so impressed with myself!

9 comments:

  1. That monkey cake is the stinkin' cutest cake ever! You do have mad skills!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally impressed with too! But it doesn't take cakes for me to feel that way. Wish I could have been there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Very nice. I am usually suicidal the night and morning before the birthday party, so I have started buying!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ow,im really really impressed with you too, i didn`t know you were so good with cakes!!!!
    I think i can`t do something like that, i have never been a good girl when it is about painting drawing or such kind of things!!!
    HUNF HUNF HUNF

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok, how do you do it? You are one amazing mama! I love the "Mater" cakes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. so fun! love the dragon! Maybe I'll have to check out family fun magazine for the next birthday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are hired- I want a princess cake! Love ya

    ReplyDelete
  9. Emily, I LOVE the cakes! Your boys are soooo cute!!!

    ReplyDelete

Sock it to me!