Sunday, October 12, 2008

There's Something Magical About Boys and Water

We're here at the beach, and if I'm being honest, I was a little worried about this trip. My boys are, shall we say, energetic, and I just wasn't sure if, A. we would be able to handle them in the face of such adventurous temptation, or B. they would find the adventures all that tempting. Turns out, I had nothing to worry about on either account.

Every moment we are here feels like a perfectly scripted and staged Hallmark movie, except the people are real and actually related to each other, and the events depicted totally resemble real life on purpose. Scene 1, the boys chase the surf and collapse into a laughing heap in the sand, hair windblown and cheeks flushed with the excitement of new experience. Camera pans out for a wide angle shot of whitecaps and orangey-purple sunset, scans over to proud papa standing with hands on hips, abject devotion as plain to see in his face, even in his stance, as the gulls soaring on updrafts overhead. Scene 2, daddy and boys work together to build a sand castle from a bucket that closely resembles a giant chess piece. They count to three together, upend the bucket to reveal their perfect fortress, cheer for the sheer joy of creation, then demolish it because only then can they go through the whole process again. Scene 3, little boy fights back at encroaching tide by throwing sand into the surf and yelling, "You can't get me, ocean!" as if he could, in all the blustery confidence of 3 1/2 years old, stop the constant rush in and suck back of the ever-powerful, all-consuming ocean.

Oh, how I relate to that little one. I think he knows he can't keep it at bay -- that he cannot turn the tide with his tiny handfuls of sand. He can see neither the beginning of the shoreline nor the end of the water, but still he must try to make progress against the relentless pound of sea against sand. He can see the pulverized shells that have been cast up from the depths, can see what such power can do to things that seem so hard, so indestructible . . . and still, he must try. Because, really, what are we, if we don't keep trying? If we just let the sea roll over us and drag us under without putting up a fight, kicking and screaming against the undertow? He gets this, I think -- on some deep, genetically-programmed level, he strives to make his voice heard above the roar of the surf, above the whip of the wind that would steal his words before he even says them. I hope he never stops. God help any of us when we decide to stop trying.

5 comments:

  1. I love those Hallmark moments. Sometimes they seem few and far between so it is important to remember them, so when life is crazy you know that there were good times too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had a good time. :) I love your boys... and I bet I know exactly which one was challenging the ocean. And, I can't wait for this weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. As a mom of boys, I can say there is nothing more fulfilling than a beach vacation. Something about being encouraged to be completely dirty and wet all day long really brings out the very best in boys.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are a great writer. I really enjoyed reading that and I'm glad you are having fun at the beach! Thanks for commenting on my blog. I look forward to reading many more posts from you :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Lew. Part of the reason I started this blog is to hone my writing skills, so it's good to hear positive feedback every once in a while!

    ReplyDelete

Sock it to me!