Saturday, December 13, 2008

Santa Claus all dressed in . . . brown?

Last weekend, CPod and I went on a most wonderful date. We got a babysitter, then went to our little Main Street area for the annual Old Fashioned Christmas. All the shops stayed open late, and each one had plates of cookies and pots of hot chocolate and warm spiced cider for all the patrons to enjoy.

I felt like we were in a movie. The air was crisp, the sky was clear, the moon was high. There were carolers on the corner and a band playing in the gazebo. Santa Claus roamed about "Ho, ho, ho"-ing and greeting any children he saw, and the ringing bells placed on each shop door sounded every time someone crossed another threshold.

Wreathed with halos of our own breath in the frosty night, we held hands as we strolled down the street and browsed through lovely little establishments, each one unique and wonderful. We window-shopped as we laughed and talked and sampled yummy treats, picked up a few gifts here and there, and savored every last child-free moment we could.

It really was that good. Seriously, if it had been snowing, I would have started looking for the camera crew.

That night, after we were home and our babysitter was gone and CPod was tucked snugly in bed, I was finally motivated to finish Christmas shopping. And that's exactly what I did -- on-line. This is thrilling to me -- that I can sit down at my computer, find exactly what I'm looking for for the best possible price, and the UPS man will bring it to my house some time in the next 7-10 business days. Awesome.

I would have been happy with 7-10 business days. Really, I would have. But it seems that this year, the particular vendors that I chose to patronize are really on the ball. Which is why, on Tuesday, UPS men showed up at my house. Plural.

No movie this time -- instead, I thought I might actually be in a TV commercial for Amazon.com.

Tuesday morning, I received an automated phone call informing me that UPS would be delivering something later in the day that would require an actual person to receive it -- they wouldn't just leave it on my front porch. I was too busy to really think about what that meant.

And then, about 6 hours later, Christmas was delivered to my house by two (ADORABLE) smiling UPS guys laden with, between them, 7 packages. Seven! I smiled, and took the boxes from them, and mumbled something under my breath about how shopping on-line is the only way to get Christmas gifts without taking my kids with me to shop in person.

And then on Wednesday, the same two little cute UPS guys showed up with 4 more packages. Some of you may know that Amazon has many different warehouses, each of which ships its portion of your order individually. Lest you think I am a profligate spender, please understand that almost all of these boxes were from the aforementioned gigantic retailer. And each parcel contained usually one, but no more than two items, because, apparently, my tastes are so divergent that none of the items I ordered were stored in the same warehouse. I mean, one box had a board book in it. One.

I saw these UPS delivery men four times this week. Did I mention how cute they were? By Friday afternoon, I was thinking of inviting them in for cookies and hot chocolate.

Not really.

But maybe this week I'll leave them some cookies and milk on the front porch. And a carrot for the big brown truck.

5 comments:

  1. I did most of my Christams shopping online on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. I got thee BEST deals and didn't even have to pay shipping for most things. My Favorite find was a Fathead--Those aret hose lifesize vinyl clings of sports figures and other celebrities you can put on your wall. My daughter has wanted on FOREVER. Well, at $150 each I've told her NO WAY! Then I got an email that they we selling TWO for the low price of $33! So essentially $16 each?! Amazing. I love online shopping and will have one AMAZED little girl come Cmas morning

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds awesome. I'm doing that next year

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm all about cybershopping ... it's the only way to go. Glad to know that someone else's Santa is dressed in brown, too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post. :) I did all my shopping online, and ALL of my shopping on Amazon. Except for one person... this sister of mine who has me totally befuddled as to what I should get her for Christmas...

    ReplyDelete
  5. HA! You're funny. Took me a second to get the carrot for the brown truck part.

    We had a hot maintenance man a little under a year ago.

    When I saw my 2 year old flirting, I knew that I should probably pull out the duct tape and start making do.

    I love Amazon.

    ReplyDelete

Sock it to me!