Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Am I famous?

Business first: a brief explanation for my radio silence of the past week. My husband's profession requires him to re-educate himself each year in order to renew his license. This gives us the opportunity to travel a little and write it off as a business expense. Yay!

My wonderful baby brother and his terrifically loving and patient new wife kept our kids for the weekend. (My mom says I may have singlehandedly convi
nced them to wait many, many years to have children of their own. Really? I hope not!)

We met our best friends from graduate school, who live in Idaho, in Austin, Texas. What a fabulous weekend! I slept. And slept some more. And ate really great food. Without having to feed it to anyone else, or keep anyone else from throwing it at a tablemate, or clean up what spilled on the floor. CPod went to class, and found a six pack of Henry Weinhard's Root Beer at a grocery store. Seriously, that's all he needed.

(I am willing to trade Cheerwine for Henry Weinhards, all of you who live out west. We can't get it out here, and you've probably never had Cheerwine, but it'
s the drink of the gods. For Christmas about 5 years ago, I actually ordered CPod some Weinhard's root beer from California. The shipping cost more than the root beer. But it's sooooooo good!)

My friend and I shopped and laughed and tried really hard to find our very own sisterhood of the travelling pants, with no luck. She had her youngest child with her, an adorable little 4-month-old angel who looks so much like his oldest brother that I experienced serious deja vu several times while we were together. His big brother, who is now 10, was the first baby I ever loved, and he will forever have a special place in my heart, so it was fun to relive that a little and bond with the smaller version. All in all, it was a wonderfully rejuvenating weekend.

And now . . . on to what this post was supposed to be about in the first place.

Last year, our digital camera died. Or, rather, it became unreliable. It still worked on occasion, but never on the occasions when I needed it. We invested in a newer, smaller, cooler camera and set the old one aside.

Last week, on the twins' birthday, I ran across the old camera. Since I hadn't thought about it in months, I gave it to G-Dog and ConMan. It was their favorite birthday present. (Of course it was. Because I didn't have to pay for it.)

Little did I know what I was getting myself into. Suddenly, I have a great deal of sympathy for Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt, because everywhere I go, I am followed by a gaggle of loud, intrusive, demanding photographers. The only things they haven't captured are those that I generally (try to) do by myself in the bathroom. Or any nudity (mine or theirs). But give them time. I'm sure the thought will occur to them eventually.

My little personal papparazzi have documented me making dinner, dusting the living room, sitting on the couch with my kids, doing laundry, playing games, and bludging. They have taken pictures of our carpet and close-up views of our couch and chair upholstery; they have zoomed in on our chef at the Japanese steakhouse we went to on their birthday; they have blinded each other with the flash and gotten up close and personal with nose hair; and they have taken many, many, many pictures of the television. Because those shows NEED to be documented for posterity.

The following is a very select sampling of the photographic prowess of my progeny. Consider yourselves the VIPs invited to the exhibition preview, because I'm certain that high-end galleries and snooty art critics are in our future. A warning: there are some very unattractive pictures of me in this lot. VERY. But I am that willing to sacrifice my dignity so you, dear readers, can have a laugh. Enjoy.

We'll start with a series I like to call Polyptych of Mommy Booty:


Whatever


Finger Toes
(I know these toes belong to G-Dog. Unlike CPod and G-Dog, MayDay, ConMan and I all have toes like hobbits, not fingers.)


Restaurant of Blinding Lights


WikiSticks on Blankie


Piggy Shine


Brother Behind Glass


She Moves Too Fast


Transformer Family Portrait
(L-R: Optimus Prime, Jazz, BumbleBee)



Wheelbarrow in Mulch
(The genius of this photo is that somehow, the perspective is way off. I mean, that wheelbarrow is only 8 feet away, but it looks like it's two stories down. I'm still not sure how they did it.)

7 comments:

  1. Great photos.
    I love seeing what my kids see. Pretty informative.
    And I'm a tad jealous of your time alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it. Isn't their perspective amazingly different from ours?

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the pictures... even when you try, you aren't unattractive.

    And,

    what the heck is bludging?

    ReplyDelete
  4. super funny. my sister said one sign of kids growing up is when you stop seeing pictures of your nostrils. too funny. thanks for sharing. yes, YOU ARE FAMOUS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the weekend get away!!!!!! Well deserved, that's for sure.

    The pictures??? ... what can I say, they are oh too funny. My favorite one is Transformers Family Portrait ... priceless.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What does it tell you about my age that my favorite picture is the one of the Transformer Family, and that it's for the same reason you enjoyed the 4-month old baby? I spent my 21-year old's little-guy years stumbling over the earlier generation of that transforming family and structuring our entire household schedule around those cartoons, these being ancient, pre-TiVo days.

    Cute post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the butt and breasts shots. You are a brave woman for posting those!

    Thanks for you comment! I will return!

    ReplyDelete

Sock it to me!