Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Blowing chunks. Hurling. Tossing my cookies. Worshipping the porcelain god. Vomitus maximus. If only.

My posts have been infrequent and unfocused lately. That's because my waking, semi-coherent moments have also been infrequent and unfocused. I am prone to exaggeration, but I'm not doing it right now: I have NEVER in my life been this tired for this long. I've decided to go ahead and adopt the nap schedule I plan to impose on my baby when he/she finally arrives in early November, with a morning nap, an afternoon nap, and an early bedtime. Otherwise, I don't even trust myself to operate heavy machinery, such as my mini-van, sewing machine, or clothes drier.

I was tired with the other pregnancies, but this is different. This is a deeper, more draining exhaustion that causes me physical pain if I don't get enough sleep, which, lately, seems to be about 20 hours out of every 24. My poor children. I hope television isn't as damaging as they say, because I spend a significant portion of my day laying on the floor wrapped up in a blanket so I can change the channel to Noggin or PBS when Tom & Jerry is over.

The fatigue is not helped by the constant nausea. I must confess: I hate to throw-up. Detest, despise, abhor, loathe and execrate. Intellectually, I know that if I could vomit, I might feel better for a little while. But my other issue is that once I've upchucked something, I can't eat it for a while. (12 years ago, I took two bc pills too close together. I ate a Chick-fil-a chicken strips salad for lunch at the mall. And had to puke it up behind a bush outside the entrance to JC Penney because all the stalls were occupied in the bathroom. I didn't eat chicken strips again until last year. And I have to really think about it before I'll eat them still.) The list of things I actually like to eat right now is very short, and I cannot afford to have anything stricken from the realm of possibility:

1. Coke
2. Coke
3. crushed pineapple suspended in cherry Jell-o
4. Nutella on toast
5. Cream of Wheat or Shredded Wheat depending on my mood
6. chocolate milk
7. Coke
8. everything bagels with butter and cheddar cheese
9. Edy's strawberry fruit popsicles
10. Strawberries, apples, oranges, really good grapes. Maybe watermelon. Mmm. Wish it were in season. (MommyJ, where did you find yours, and was it any good?)
11. Grapefruit with honey
12. Super-crispy bacon
13. Campbell's Homestyle chicken noodle soup. Or ramen noodles, if I'm out of the good stuff.

So, instead, I just run to the toilet several times a day and dry heave enough to pee in my pants. That's WAAAAAY better than spewing, right? Right.

Mercifully, my mother and my husband have decided that it's important for the rest of my family to eat even though I really don't feel like it, and they have taken on nearly all food-related duties. Thank goodness -- what with the tv consumption, I'm downright neglectful.

In other news, I've also decided to just wear pajamas all the time. If the bottoms don't have a pattern, I think I can get away with wearing them in public. And pjs are pretty cheap, right? Because I just don't have the energy to do laundry, and I would really prefer disposable clothing right now. Convenience and expedience, that's my motto. Besides, I'm not spending any money on groceries. That leaves a whole bunch left over for wear-and-toss jammies.

Speaking of tossing, today, I disposed of a container of leftover chili by transferring it to a more size-compatible sealed container and putting the whole thing in the trash. Because I just can't take chili right now, even it if is CPod's award-winning recipe. Blech.

That's all for now. I'm way into overtime for the afternoon nap. I just started a movie for my kids and I think I can steal away to my bedroom for some sleep with two eyes closed instead of just one.

11 comments:

  1. Isn't it the pits that something you so yearn for can make you feel so absolutely terrible! I remember sometime during my miserable first trimester with my triplets thinking "I can't believe I paid 15 *thousand* dollars to feel this way!!"

    I hope you start feeling better soon....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry you're not feeling well!

    And my problem is that I get nausea, but can't throw up. I would take throwing up anyday, because then I usually feel better after.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am SO SORRY!!! How miserable. I hope it doesn't last too long.

    I'm sure you've tried this...but I've heard that taking Vitamin B 12 helps with nausea. Also maybe some ginger snaps?

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is the weirdest list of foods, but hearing them kinda made me want some of them haha. I hope you feel better SOON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't been to your blog in a while. Congratulations on your pregnancy. I am sorry about the vomiting. I have always had migraines and if I throw up I feel better. So I have actually always been grateful to throw up because I knew I was going to feel better soon. So I was always used to feeling awful, throwing up, feeling better EXCEPT for when I was pregnant then I would feel great , throw up, and feel awful! What's up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Y'know, I was just this morning wondering how you're doing. Guess not great, huh? You have my deepest sympathies, and a reminder that even this, as miserable as it is, is temporary. Hang in there, honey! Every day brings you one day closer to having this behind you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bless Your Heart! - Hoping this 1st trimester goes by quickly and your list of favorite foods can expands soon. Although I have to say Nutela on bread sounds delicious (Nutela was one of my childhood treats - good memories) ... really crispy bacon ...mmm ... I'm getting hungry :D

    Yeay for mom and husband taking over the kitchen for ya!

    I'm sure your kids are excited about watching lots of TV :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry! (Found you via mormommommyblogs but had to come over because I've been posting about my own morning sickness lately...) i'm with you on the needing 3 naps, although I'm blessed with a much milder form of morning sickness. I feel like barfing all day but i rarely actually do it.
    In any case, a friend of mine who gets very severe morning sickness recommended bnatals (www.bnatal.com) which is a hard candy only it's a B-vitamin, so it's the sucking but also the vitamins that are supposed to help. I ordered some but they don't seem to make a huge difference for me. If you would like, i'd be happy to mail you a few to try (my email is in my profile). :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It's good I didn't read this until now, or I'd suspect that the stomach flu I came down with (hard) overnight was actually sympathy pains! OH those days -- those horrid days -- those amazing days. Twenty-one years on the other side of it, all I can say is...And it came to pass...

    Love,
    Mona

    P.S. Thank you for your beautiful, heartfelt comment. OH! And i'm in my flannels too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm SO sorry. There's nothing I hate more than throwing up. I too know it's irrational, but I still hate it. And do you mean to tell me that it's only okay to wear my pajamas if I'm pregnant with morning sickness? Darn.

    p.s. I noticed my blog in your sidebar hasn't been reset to to the new feed yet, so you've missed the latest posts. Maybe between naps you could check it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny, your description of "downright neglectful" is me on a good day.

    And I don't even bother with the non printed jammy bottoms.

    Then again, you don't shop at Walmerts, so it's probably more noticeable when you go out dressed like that.

    ReplyDelete

Sock it to me!