Thursday, April 30, 2009

Name That Tune

My little ConMan seems to be the one of my children most likely to have inherited my musical genius. (She says sarcastically.) He loves to sing, loves, loves, loves to play his "rockin' guitar" and loves to listen to music. As long as it's when he wants to listen to it.

Anyway. He's been singing a song lately that neither CPod nor I recognized. It's something about his "dreamgirl" and when I asked where he'd heard it, he just shrugged his shoulders and kept humming. I just let the mystery go until yesterday.

I turned on a TiVoed episode of Scooby Doo for the boys to watch while I was making dinner. They needed some time to wind down, and I needed some time to get stuff done. While soup simmered on the stove, I traipsed back and forth between my room and the laundry room, doing laundry things. And then I heard this:



Yeah. My sweet, innocent little ConMan has been singing the freecreditreport.com commercial.

Now. In my defense, the wunderkind can listen to something once, and sing it back to me three days later. But still. Looks like a DVD purchase of non-commercially infiltrated vintage Scooby Doo is in my near future.

And also, what's up with this, Cartoon Network? Grown up commercials during kids' shows? I think we'll be finding a new source for our Tom&Jerry fix, thank you very much.

(Did you notice what I just did there? I totally removed all the blame for this little incident off of myself by diverting it -- skillfully, if I may say so -- to the evil television executives. So there!)

9 comments:

  1. I have to admit, that song is very catchy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ok, that is hilarious!!! That song totally gets stuck in my head too. And, shame on cartoon network! I blame them too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, you gotta love having your kids sinding things like this. Might as well song, "My mom is letting the t.v. raise meeeeee!"

    Do they sing "Jesus Wants me for a Sunbeam"? No. It's the free credit report song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Singing. I meant singing. I don't even know what "sinding" means.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey at least there's no bad words in it, right? You are raising kids aware about their credit score - which these days is not a bad thing - ha ha ha ha ha

    Kids have amazing memory ... if they could only remember what we want them to remember! sigh ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's because it's such a catchy song. And they know if they can get a 4 year old to sing it, they have a client for life!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this story. And I love Conman. And I love the free credit report.com commercials. Really. I do. The one where he's dressed up as a pirate, it's funny.

    AND... I think maybe I watch too much cartoon network.

    ReplyDelete
  8. hahhaha! YES! I love it! Blame it on the big bad TV guys! LOL! That's so cute, really! Jenni

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both my 8 year old and 6 year old seem to memorize a song on one hearing. They are amazing! But, what I'm even more amazed by is their ability to know exactly who sings what. Like the Jonas brothers (who I have really never heard...where did they hear them?) or Taylor Swift (see above).

    And like DeNae said, it's fairly disconcerting that they sing these songs that I swear, we don't listen to at home, and not Primary songs. Huh.

    ReplyDelete

Sock it to me!