Sunday, July 5, 2009

Some fireworks a day late . . .

How was your holiday weekend?

Mine was great. I'm serious.

My entire family went camping. And by entire family, I mean all of the people I lived with growing up and all of our respective spouses and children. 21 people in all.

Wanna know how crazy it was? 11 of those people are 8 or younger. Baby brother has no children yet, but the shakedown works like this (my kids in purple; MommyJ's kids in green; Jared & Mel's kids in blue): 8, 6, 5, 5, 4, 4, 4, 2, 2, 2, 4 months. All boys except for little Lucy. Oh, the energy!

We ate. We swam. We reveled in the cool weather -- no warmer than 80 degrees. Heaven. We watched fireworks. We laughed. We ate some more. We slept on the ground. Well, I slept on the ground. My parents slept on a double-stacked air mattress. Their tent looked like an actual bedroom, complete with handmade quilts and throw pillows.

And now we're home. And clean. The campsite had flush toilets, but no showers, so for two days, no one bathed. I smelled like a Mexican restaurant dumpster. When I finally showered this afternoon, as I bent over to scrub the "dirty burt", as my mom calls it, from under my toenails, my already washed hair swung into my face and it still smelled like campfire smoke.

My kids are all sleeping. Which means it's time for me to turn in, too. Yes, I know it's only 9:15. I promise to be a real person, with some real posts about some interesting things I've been thinking about lately, very soon.

Love you all!

9 comments:

  1. How fun! I am amazed that you pulled off a trip like that with all those kids with no major drama! I would think it would be too much work, but you make it seems so natural and lovely. We love hiking and the outdoors but not tried camping yet with my two little lovelies. PS - you are a CHAMP to sleep on the ground in your pregnant state! i love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We had some cool weather here (in Las Vegas), too. Instead of the usual sizzling 110+ degree, it was more like 90 or something. Heaven indeed! If only the rest of the summer could continue as cool...

    --Terresa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- that's all I have to say. Wow.

    and if it's cooler weather you want we have it! Come visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So Much Fun!!!!!

    About a picture? ... I'll be happy with just one group picture
    :0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the image of your parents' tent made up with a mattress, quilt and throw pillows! Awesome!

    Glad you had such a wonderful weekend...

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun! Where did you go? We used to love to go to the Mills River campground. My mom just loved that place. The last time we went there to play with my dad & Ramona it was thundering in the distance. When it finally started to rain we got in the car, but instead of heading right back to the house went for a drive on the blue ridge parkway. By this time it was pouring rain--incredibly beautiful. And then an amazing thing happened--lightening struck the ground RIGHT in front of our van. It was the most exciting thing we've ever seen!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like a great holiday weekend! I'm new to blogland, but you've done a wonderful job with your site. Very inspiring!
    Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are HOW far along and you slept on the GROUND?!!! You're a lot younger than I am!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the image of your parents tent! You will have to tell your mom I LOVE it! That is the way to go camping!

    ReplyDelete

Sock it to me!