Monday, August 10, 2009

Highlights

You will NEVER guess who I saw this weekend.


That's right. The decidedly upscale hotel at which my husband and I stayed this weekend was infiltrated, nay, infested with NWA (National Wrestling Alliance, to the uninitiated) Legends Fans, all there to meet their idol, the greatest wrestler of all time, Ric Flair, the very Nature Boy himself.

Except he's a lot older now. And a bit fatter. As are most of his fans. Fatter, I mean. And balding, except for the mullet. And toothless. And rude. And -- do I even need to say this? -- single. I'm not kidding even a little bit. I sincerely hope that the conglomeration of people at the Hilton this weekend was not typical of the NWA audience. But I suspect it might have been.

We were childless, which goes a long way to improve the attitude, don't you think? Say what you will -- we did some really great people-watching this weekend.

But our hotel was not the only place we got to scan an interesting crowd.

No, friends, our wrestling experience was overwhelmingly eclipsed by the real reason for our trip -- these fellas:


Stumped? How about now?


Okay, I'll admit that my pictures are not clear or, even, recognizable. But trust me. Coldplay in concert was worth every penny we spent -- one of the best shows I have ever been to. (I speak with zero authority here, since my concert history, excluding big-name classical musicians, consists, in its entirety, of: New Kids on the Block, Tony Bennett, Chicago, Red Hot Chili Peppers, U2, and, now, Coldplay. But CPod's pedigree is more impressive: REM twice, Metallica twice, U2, Chili Peppers, Pearl Jam twice, Ned's Atomic Dustbin, Toad the Wet Sprocket, twice . . . I could go on. He's much cooler than me. And he thinks it was one of the best shows he's ever seen, too. So there.)

CPod and I went with MommyJ (my sister) and her husband, Josh:


We had a blast. We sang along. We danced. They were FANTASTIC. I have loved Chris Martin for a long time -- that dude can play him some piano.


There were huge yellow balloons bounced through the crowd (during "Yellow"). There were millions of pieces of butterfly confetti:


There were three stages, and acoustic music, including a fantastic cover of "Billie Jean". There were lasers. There were mellow drunk people (instead of the usual obnoxious drunks . . . a nice change). A good time was had by all. Even my little pregnant belly. She was dancing, too!


I took a few videos that will do nothing for any of you, because they're NOT good. And because I was having too much fun to stand there holding my camera in the air for longer than 30 seconds at a time. But if you want just a small taste of what we experienced on Friday night, this YouTube video will not even come close, but it'll have to do.

Peace out.

8 comments:

  1. How fun. I've seen Coldplay in concert too, and it's a great show. But I thought U2 was awesome, also. I think I'm most jealous I missed that wrestler dude. No, really. I mean it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am jealous! This is probably going to get me killed, but I don't love U2. I would much rather see Coldplay.

    And I did post about Joel, about 7 weeks ago! And I have a major crush. What's to love?!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting!!!!!!

    Sorry to hear and see those wrestling disgusting men - can't stand any of that - but all worth it if it was to see Coldplay in concert!!!!!!

    I'm just curious, who kept ALL THE CHILDREN??????????

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's not much in the way of mainstream music that I enjoy but if I had to pick one group...wow...sounds like such an amazing experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like you all had a great time at the concert! I bet it was awesome!! I love concerts (...I am trying to let it go but I just can't...my germ-a-phob side is screaming for MommyJ to put her flip flops back on!!!! I know I have issues.) What an awesome break from the norm, minus the gross wrestlers of course.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, little bit jealous. Just a bit. (and by bit I mean green with envy).

    If it makes you feel any better your concert repertoire is much bigger than mine. . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Coldplay! I'm so jealous! They are fabulous! What fun that you got to take off without the kids, too.

    (Have you seen the Jon Schmidt mash-up of Viva La Vida and Love Story? It's pretty cool.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ok, I just have to say that you look so much like your mom. And since she is one of my favorite people in the world, that makes me smile. :)

    ReplyDelete

Sock it to me!