Monday, September 28, 2009

Sleepiness

On the InkMom Scale of Alertness, one being comatose and ten being caffeinated, I wake up every morning at a solid 2. The twins wake up at an 11. They launch from their beds as though shot from a cannon, their little springloaded bodies that have been tightly coiled in sleep all night long finally releasing all the accumulated potential energy into kinetic, bounding, noisy BEING.

Sigh.

It makes me a little crazy. They wake up MayDay, who needs more sleep than they do, before he really should be up. They crawl up in my bed and have loud conversations about whose turn it is to talk. They run laps down the hallway. They operate with all cylinders firing but no direction, something akin to a bouncy ball in a racquetball court: random, crazy, unpredictable, and a little painful if you accidentally cross paths.

I know I should be grateful that they're that excited to go to school -- I mean, I guess I'd rather have to focus their energies enough to get out the door than have to cajole and convince and bribe them into their carseats. By the time they get to school, they have been sufficiently wiggly to expend surplus energy, and, miracle of miracles, they're both actually able to focus on learning/playing. But my goodness! Some sympathy for the sleepy one over here, please!

If the big boys have a good week at school, they get to go camping with Daddy on Friday night. I am thankfully exempt from attendance at this exciting event due to my extremely gravid state. Pregnant women, according to CPod, especially ones with only five weeks remaining, are precluded from sleeping anywhere but a real bed. Which, keep your fingers crossed, means I will get to sleep . . . until I wake up. All by myself. Oh, my goodness. I don't remember the last time I just got to sleep until my internal timer decided to acknowledge daylight.

******************************

So I've been thinking about what it would take for me to wake up as alert and happy as my children are upon their reentry to consciousness. Twelve hours of sleep every night? A gradual transition from sleep to wakefulness instead of the full throttle launch forced on me by the big boys? How about intentionally waking up an hour before the boys do so I can have a period of quiet time in which I am not required to interact with others? Yeah. That will happen.

I just don't think it's in the cards.

They must get it from CPod.

When I was in high school, attending early morning seminary, I was a monster. My mom would come in my room to wake me up at her own physical and emotional peril, because she never knew if I would be throwing verbal projectiles or real ones. I'm better now, but only just -- no more rudeness, unless you count scowling.

My mom maintains that she wasn't a morning person until she taught early-morning seminary. It is her fervent prayer that each of her children will have the same opportunity. I ask her to please refrain from calling such curses down upon my head, because I could seriously curl up in a fetal position right now just thinking about a 5AM alarm every day.

Oh, well. I'll count my blessings. My kids are obviously getting enough sleep, and they love school, and they wake up happy to start the day. I'll try not to put a damper on their enthusiasm with my lack of morning cheer. Let's just hope they don't grow into an attitude as dismal as mine!

15 comments:

  1. I am not a morning person at all. Thank goodness for living in Utah when I was in high school, and had seminary as a class.

    I guess I need to get pregnant in order to get out of camping.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost never wake up happy to be awake. Last Saturday I woke up and got out of bed on my own about 7:30. I think Russ just about had a heart attack....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally with you on the sleeping thing. You know as well as anyone that I'm not one to be messed with when I'm asleep/wishing I was still asleep because someone was too loud and woke me up. Would you believe that I'm getting up at 6am of my own will and choice to go to the gym and get in a workout before Jake wakes up? I know, I'm nuts. But I hate being fat.
    And you're almost due? I swear you were due in December.
    Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are there negative numbers on your scale of wakefulness? Cause I think I'm like a negative twenty. Seriously. The way I'm feeling lately, if I could sleep twenty two out of every twenty four hours, I absolutely would.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to do a blog post on this very thing this morning, but it's come across as very negative, so I haven't published it yet. Thanks for voicing my thoughts in a nicer way.
    Getting to sleep till YOU wake up is a dream come true. Enjoy!!! I'm so jealous and wish you lots and lots of sleep that night!

    ReplyDelete
  6. When I was an exchange student my Am. Mom used to let me sleep as late as I wanted on Sat. until one Saturday it was past 1PM and she got worried. I could sleep forever, I still could, except I have an early riser who has a Swiss clock inside of him, 6 o'clock everyday he comes to my side of the bed (still don't understand why he doesn't go to Daddy's side) to ask for his milk. Some days I can handle it OK some days I'm not sure how am I awake ... I pray a lot to get through the day because I'm like Mommy J although I could do 20 or may be 15 hours and be good =)
    (my naps are sacred on Sunday)

    E N J O Y this weekend!!!!! I'm Jealous!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't think people who don't have kids and wake up for jobs really get it. They act as though mothers are lazy, but they just don't get how truly exhausting it is. Our little girl is a morning child. She wakes up early and wants me not only to get up but do things; the nerve! So I'm with you.

    Here's to your morning sleeping in!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My children never sleep in until they are full fledged teenagers. Keep them up 'til 11:00 pm and they'll still be up by 6:00 am!! I don't understand it!

    I'd love to meet your twin balls of energy!!! They'd be a riot to watch (as long as I wasn't sleepy!)

    You have my sympathies. And, don't worry, with your wee ones, the chance of you being called to teach early morning seminary are slim to none for quite a few years! (unless your ward really struggles to have enough people to staff the ward, then all bets are off!) I'm the secretary for seminaries in the area (four stakes). Last year we had a teacher I truly felt sorry for her. She had preschoolers, was Young Women's president in her ward AND taught early morning seminary!

    ReplyDelete
  9. In 5 weeks you'll get to sleep whenever the new baby sleeps. What a joke! That never happened for me! My first baby never slept and with my second I had the older one to attend. I have been sleep deprived for 6 years straight!! I would love a sleepy headed teenager sometimes! Maybe someday~

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm not cranky in the morning any more and even at my worst, I'm more non-functioning than violent. I'm still more of a night owl but I can't sleep past 8:15 any more even if I try my very, very hardest. However, I also cannot get out of the bed before 7:30 so I don't think my morning person conversion is true and lasting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have one daughter that leaps out of bed as soon as the alarm goes off, smiling all the way.

    I also have one daughter who, on most days, is dragged out of bed kicking and screaming. I think we should have opted for afternoon kindergarten. . .

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can add nothing to this but a hearty amen!

    ReplyDelete
  13. For years I had violin teachers talk about the wonder of early-morning practicing. We couldn't ever pull it off. Finally, my oldest began seminary (at the relatively-late hour of 6:30) and we found that we were only able to manage family scripture time if we did it before she left. Fortunately, we are past the infant stage. I can't imagine doing both seminary student and newborn! Now I get up at 5:30 to rouse the troops (although I often let the 4-y/o sleep). By 6:45 we have read scriptures, prayed, sent our 16-y/o out the door, had breakfast, listened to Suzuki Violin Book 3 and my younger violinist hits the practice room. We couldn't get up just for that, but since we're up for better reasons, it sure is nice that she doesn't have that duty to perform after school! If you had told me when I was twenty-five with two children that I would be doing this, I would have told you that you were crazy. You never know what life will bring.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I firmly believe that we are born with a certain type of Circadian rhythm, and that's that. I am not a morning person, but my husband is. We have children of both kinds, and that has only served to solidify my theory. I'm really a much nicer person if I don't have to get up at the crack of dawn, and I definitely get a second wind around 10 pm that lasts till midnight.

    Good luck in the last weeks of pregnancy, and especially getting all the sleep you need and want while your husband is gone with the other children.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am your opposite, apparently. I can't sleep past 7 am without getting nightmares and collapse so early.

    But I'm glad that being pregnant got you out of camping. I hate camping pregnant.

    ReplyDelete

Sock it to me!