Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Miscellany

1. I've been a little stingy with photos of pregnant me. So in case you needed evidence, here I am 10 days before delivery:



2. I also neglected to blog about Halloween. The moment has passed, but still. My children were ADORABLE. And it's my blog. So here you go:


GDog as Luigi, ConMan as Mario, and MayDay as Toad, all characters from Super Mario Bros. In case you've been living under a rock since the early eighties. We stopped at a video game store on Halloween, and the boys were already dressed for trick or treating. The overgrown children who run the store gave my kids some serious props for their costumes, and the boys really thought they were something.

3. Also, my husband is adorable. He's the greatest daddy in the world. Here's a good shot of all my boys, after we carved our pumpkin for FHE:



Now that we're home from the hospital, he's been carrying the weight of the entire world on his shoulders, as he has taken up the slack when it comes to dishes and meal preparation and most major parenting duties for our three older children:


I swear to you this was spontaneous.

4. And now, introducing . . . Miscellany: 8 lb 1 oz, 20.5" long, born at 8:02PM on Thursday, November 5, 2009. She is our lovely girl child, all in her own category, the one item on the miscellaneous list. Here she is, in all her beauty, exactly 24 hours old:



In the delivery room:



And, oh, the hair! It's not red! No offense to my red-headed men, but honestly, it's about time some of my genes were expressed.



And another one, just because I can:



And another one, just because I love her:



I'll spare you the gory details of the delivery, except for these two choice tidbits: we were mere moments away from an emergency c-section when the crisis was averted (who needs wax? I heard the shaver and knew I was in trouble!); and when my doctor told me to push, it was merely a formality, because by the time the words were out of her mouth, Miscellany had pretty much arrived. My mom and MommyJ were there, and, of course, CPod, and we spent the better part of the day laughing. Good company and entertaining conversation will go a long way to ease the pains of labor, let me tell you.

Miraculously, Miscellany is still alive, in spite of her brothers' very heartfelt and loving attempts to "help" Mommy change her diaper, or nurse her, or clean her umbilical cord, or move the bassinet . . . you get the picture.

I just looked at my Google Reader and, heaven help me, it has 152 items. Maybe in my spare time . . . yeah. Love to you all, and know that even if my presence here in cyberland is scarce over the next couple of weeks, we're making it, we're healthy, and I'm probably lurking somewhere, unable to type one-handed, or too lazy to use the iPhone to comment. Later!

35 comments:

  1. Wow- she is so beautiful!! Cute cute cute.
    Take care and enjoy the sweet baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my dear sister, her blog name is genius. Genius! And the pictures... oh how I love her too. And I've only held her once. It is right now when she is so knew and in your house that I wish we were neighbors the most.

    Not really. I always wish we were neighbors. But the presence of a newborn greatly intensifies that desire.

    I loce you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is beautiful! Her cheeks are so chubby and that hair!

    ReplyDelete
  4. She's gorgeous! And I love the boys' costumes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOLY Hair, Batman! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just so excited for you and your sweet beautiful girlie that I have tears in my eyes. Hooray! Well done! And let's hope that hair is curly!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now, you need to know that I don't tell people their babies are cute if I don't really think they are. I've mastered the art of the 'nonpliment' - "Wow, those are some strong fingers!" or "Gosh, she looks just like your mother-in-law."

    So when I say the following, know it is one hundred percent sincere and honest:

    That is a BEAUTIFUL baby.

    Well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh!! that first picture of her is so beautiful!! She is such a beauty! Congrats and I cannot wait to meet her! Whenever you feel up to it, I am on my way :-) I miss you and am so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful!

    you know, my mom always told me that newborns were much more resilant than we think. Otherwise, second children would never grow up to adulthood, since the big "helpers" would have finished them off!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the boy's costumes! They look great!
    And what a beautiful, beautiful miracle! I'm so happy and excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I totally thought that Miscellany was her name. I was thinking, "wow, I've never heard that before...I like it." :) I am so glad that everything is well. I have been anxiously awaiting the good news and of course the beautiful pictures! Enjoy every moment with your precious baby girl!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just like Melissa said I had to think for a minute to realize this was her 'blog name' ... ha ha ha silly me!!

    She's perfect!!!!! precious and Yay for brown hair!!!!

    Congratulations and welcome to a world of 4 against 2 (I'm pulling for the girls!!)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I agree wholeheartedly with DeNae. Congratulations!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh Em, she's so beautiful. I absolutely love that first pic you have of her. What I wouldn't give to get my camera and lenses on her... She's just perfect and looks like you! Have fun being a mommy to a little girl. It was meant to be... love always - Ness

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally thought that was her name, thinking, "How do you pronounce that? I've never heard it before.." Then I remembered the whole alias thing...:) Congratulations. She's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wahoo! She is beautiful! I love babies! I hope you are enjoying your time, even amid all the craziness! Congrats, and way to go with the hair! (like we really do anything to actually make that happen, but hey, you probably had heartburn so that counts!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations! She is absolutely beautiful.

    And, I loved all the other pictures too. The weight of the world one really cracked me up especially. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. She is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for you all!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats!!! So good to hear from you again!

    She's lovely!!! Enjoy her (before she gets old enough to whine --- oooh! did I just say that?)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations!!!!!!She is gorgeous! No surprise there pretty mommy! I am so glad I am not the only one who had to stop and think about the name...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Congratulations! She is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Beauty and excellence. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cute boys in their costumes. But that baby girl, she is completely and absolutely beautiful! (But you must have had a horrendous case of heartburn - I believe in this particular old wive's tale, because it happended to me each time I had a baby with a full head of hair.)
    Congrats.
    :~D

    ReplyDelete
  24. Congratulations! You've got an adorable family! Take it easy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  25. My blog reader just pulled up five posts from you all at once that had previously been missing. Sorry I'm not more on the ball. Blame bloglines! Anyway, I have to say that your little girl is really, really gorgeous. What a head of silky, sable hair! Thank heavens for little girls!

    ReplyDelete
  26. She is beautiful! Good luck over the next little bit!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh how gorgeous she is! Congratulations!

    I'm in much the same position with regards to my bloglines count. It's more than worth being behind though. Much more. =)

    ReplyDelete
  28. It's so good to hear from you today! Your posts have been sorely missed!
    But looking at these photos, it's easy to see where your time and energy have been spent!! Your newest Love is perfect in every way....so happy for you all.
    Continue to rest as much as you can in these early days of new motherhood. Adn stay hydrated while nursing too!
    The pics are adorable!
    p.s.In my world, Kevin Costner does not have to do hospital corners, nosireebob!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Love the Halloween costumes & seeing the weight of the world on your husband's shoulders. :)

    Gorgeous baby, so much hair! You are blessed, as are your children! Enjoy your babymoon!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Oh my goodness, I can't believe I missed this. There I was giving birth to my first novel, and here you were, giving birth to this glorious angel. I'm so happy for you. She's beyond beautiful.

    (And who said you could look that good in the hospital, pot-delivery. Not fair.)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Well, this is just a BIT late, but CONGRATULATIONS. She is beautiful and so are you and the rest of your family, as usual. :)

    ReplyDelete

Sock it to me!