Thursday, July 29, 2010

The End of an Era, and Other Observations

1. Wow, how things change.

We are winding up our third week of kindergarten. My house is cleaner than it has been in, oh, about 5 1/2 years. Garrett and Connor (Real names! Don't faint!) started year-round kindergarten this month and, I tell you what -- this regular schedule thing is A. kicking my butt, and B. fantastically awesome. We all go to bed earlier. I am home from taking the big boys to school by 8AM. My kids are happy, excited, engaged, and totally into the whole school experience. And I am extremely relieved -- especially for Garrett, whose complicated personality sometimes, well, complicates things. Life is good. I am, however, a little nostalgic for the time when I was pretty much the only influence on these little guys for 90% of the day. But not nostalgic enough to home school. There are not enough anti-anxiety medications in the world.

2. My baby is beautiful. And standing, whilst staring at her feet, willing them to move. Precocious mobility is not anywhere on my list of favorite things . . . but I think Elena (Another real name! Actually, we call her Laney Kate) will be my earliest walker. Curses. She also just cut four teeth at once, and her hair becomes more red every day. She is eating real food and crawling all over the place -- I no longer contain her, except to close the door to the basement.

Also, she's a shoplifter. But then, she learns from the best. Let me explain.

Last week, my friend and I took our little ones with us on a shopping trip to a semi-close outlet mall. After we left the first store, my friend pulled a pair of little boy size 6 month shorts out of my stroller. "Did you mean to get these?"

No. No, I did not. But apparently, Laney Kate did. So we took them back.

And then we went to Gap. I loaded up the top of my stroller with cute things for all of my kids. While checking out, Mason (yep, that one's real, too) was playing peek-a-boo with Laney by opening and closing the sunshade. I was halfway to Banana Republic before I noticed two cute little outfits still left on top of the sunshade that I had totally stolen.

So I went back and paid for those. She even let me use my 25% off coupon again.

3. That trip to the outlet mall was merely an excuse to drive past all the peach orchards on the way and load up on my most favorite food IN THE ENTIRE WORLD. I've said it before and I'll say it again: if I had been Eve, and the forbidden fruit had been peaches, the serpent would not have had to try very hard. As in, he wouldn't have even had to show up. Last night, I ate three. In one sitting. Of course, that's because I had just finished . . .

4. a three mile run. In the heat of the day. I'm a little crazy like that. And if it's hot and humid, it counts more. My husband is training for a triathlon (which I will NEVER do) and he was making me look bad. And I discovered that the park near my house has a greenway . . . cool, and shaded and breezy by the river. And on that greenway, half-buried in the vines, is an old abandoned wreck of a car. It's totally creepy. In a good way.

5. I have always loved "Masterpiece Mystery!" But this season has been uncommonly good. If you are so inclined, find yourself a way to watch this season's "Murder on the Orient Express." Poirot at his best. (In the interest of full disclosure, my husband hates these shows. Passionately. But that's okay. Because I also hate "Gearz".)

6. Maybe the summer heat (way more extreme than usual around here) is getting to my brain, but I have nada for blog fodder. So instead of writing crap, I have chosen (until now) to write nothing. And really, just between you and me, it seems that a lot of other people out there are not refraining even though their fodder wells have dried up, too. (No, not you! Ha, ha. Of course, not you! I mean those other people!) I have found myself commenting less and less, partly because I'm still doing the one-handed-typing-while-nursing thing, but partly because . . . I don't have much to say. Have I offended you? Please don't take offense. The muse will strike me again, and with it will (hopefully) come a desire to once again engage in widespread internet conversating. But for now, you're stuck with drivel to read from a blogger who mostly lurks. Signing off . . . for now.

And in case you're wondering . . . it's Emily.




post signature

17 comments:

  1. I am a big peach fan. It's so refreshing. And I think your little one is well on her way to being a Hooters Girl, with that shoplifting habit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum--we bought a big box of peaches when we visited my grandparents farm a couple of weeks ago, and I had visions of freezing some. Hah. They were gone in a flash. (I'd have bought more but then I would have had to leave one or more kids in South Carolina...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've totally been thinking about doing a blog post on my accidental kleptomania. So glad it's not just me!

    And I love me some fresh peaches. I especially love fresh homemade peach ice cream. Mmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the shoplifting baby. Mine always do it when I put them in those huge car grocery carts.

    You have me all excited about school starting again. My house is NOT clean at all right now!

    And I think the thing I miss the most about home is my parents' amazing peach tree. That thing is so prolific and it puts out the best fruit ever. I love visiting my parents and eating the canned peaches for breakfast. (And lunch. And dinner!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that all the names are out there! They are all really good names too! Peaches are my second favorite fruit, blueberries are my absolute fav. Glad your boys are doing well. My difficult child is entering second grade now. We are making it somehow, year by year.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the freedom of kids in school! It only gets better. And quieter. And you can go places without shoplifting (hopefully, hehe).

    ReplyDelete
  7. So fun to hear the names!

    My oldest goes off to all day kindergarten in 3 weeks. I'm excited/scared/awed at the prospect.

    Don't worry. I've got nothing this summer too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Also looking forward to the kids going back to school, even though it means that two of them actually GO to school. Utah and Idaho. Not Nevada. It's kind of nice to get my domain back; my daughter is one queen bee too many in this hive! (And she's happy when she's at school, so it's win / win.)

    No worries about the blog fodder. I've put up two archival pieces this summer, and I feel no guilt.

    Not a big fan of peaches, but I love me some fresh plums!

    And Miss Eleny is a genius. You gotta love Kristina's dreams for your child, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very darling post! You make me want to have a peach right now.
    I wish I lived somewhere that there was a peach tree.

    I think your writing is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love real names!!

    Mom had been making peach puree for Emilia and according to her it was too acid for the baby so I ate it, yummy!! Love Peaches!

    Do you have to do something special to get your kids in year-round school?? We are out of district but if I'm thinking about the right one, so are you :)

    I've been missing your fun paragraphs lately!!

    Glad to "have you back"

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know you have inspirations to talk about but I love reading about your youngin's. I would be one of those wierd people if i ever saw Garret and Conner saying "I remember you when you were this small!" because i really can't believe they're as old as they are.

    ReplyDelete
  12. You're such a ball--I love this post!

    Just like you're experiencing, I'm both thrilled to have school start soon for the sake of a consistent schedule, and I'm totally dreading it because of that strictness to my day. (And the fact that I'll have to wake up earlier--I don't do well with little sleep. Oy.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Eating peaches while watching a good mystery sounds like a fun combo!

    And as a kindergarten teacher myself, I am so glad your boys are loving it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. You and me and peaches, baby. Ain't nothin' better.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You're hilarious. Glad you're back. And I am offended :) (j/k).
    Totally agree with the school. Sad to not be the only influence, but not doing the homeschool thing. I'd be in a mental hospital, and how productive of schooling would that be?
    How come you decided to do the real names?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gaffney! The big peach! Dumb comment and about 2 weeks too late, but whatever. I showed up. with half a brain, I showed up.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Mmmmm. Peaches. They aren't on yet here. But I might drive past my favorite fruit stand and see in anticipation!

    Lol!

    I love this post. And I've totally accidentally shoplifted before. I've even left a restaurant w/o paying my check accidentally. It got paid, just a day late. I laughed my head off!

    ReplyDelete

Sock it to me!