Sunday, January 18, 2009

My (Al)most Embarrassing Moment

Two-thirds of my children have been sick this week, which means I've been housebound since Tuesday. Yesterday, body temperatures were manageable, if not normal, and we were all headed for stir-craziness if we didn't get out of the house. So CPod and I bundled up our younguns, piled them in the car and went to run some errands.

We stopped at a few places, meandering up to a certain purveyor of rotisserie chickens and yummy side dishes. We ordered our food, got the kids corralled into a booth and sat down to eat.

It was at this point that I realized I had an urgent need to use the facilities. I scooted on over to the bathroom, did what I had to, and then washed my hands. As I turned to leave, another person came in . . . a little boy, about 10 years old or so. Who looked at me kind of strangely. I smiled and reached for the door handle, and then, glancing to my right, noticed . . . a urinal. Which they don't usually install in women's bathrooms, right? Right.

Come to think of it, I had wondered why the restroom only had one stall.

I wasn't really embarrassed, just a little alarmed that I hadn't noticed something so basic. CPod sure had a good chuckle, though.

But can you imagine how it could have gone? It could have been OH so much worse.

Imagine if I'd been in the stall and seen some manly shoes under the door waiting their turn. I'm sure I would have thought he was the one who had made the mistake -- especially since I didn't see the urinal until I was on my way out. And I would have said something . . . like, "Hey, um, I think you're in the ladies room." And he would have glanced significantly at the urinal and I would have averted my eyes lest he do something, you know, totally expected in a men's washroom, and slunk back to my table.

I shudder to think what wold have happened had I walked in on someone in midstream.

And worst of all, I'm having nightmares now about being accidentally stranded in the men's room stall, trapped by an endless stream (couldn't resist) of urinal users with no opportunity to escape from under cover without being noticed. Oh, the horror.

Next time, I'll pay closer attention. I'm the bald one in the ugly A-line dress, with cankles and absolutely no boobs, right?

11 comments:

  1. Oh I have SO BEEN THERE! This summer we were in Park City for a day. It was late in the afternoon and I'm sure I hadn't had enough protein, but really, it was no excuse. I had already used the woman's restroom in this place once, but I just wasn't paying attention. And so I just walked straight in...and wondered why there were fewer stalls than I remembered. And then noticed the young boy standing at the urinal. And then walked out and screamed...it was not my finest moment. (And if you want to hear my more recent embarassing moment...you'll have to e-mail me at crayz2sew at earthlink dot net. Cause you would be entertained, but it's not for public consumption!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is so funny...i have had those moments as well..but you wrote it so well. thanks for sharing, or oversharing, which is often the way it is referred to at out house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...a urinal" ewww ew ew ewwwwwww!
    D:
    OMGosh.
    That's hilarious, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is too funny! I will never look at the "bald, ugly A line dress, canckles, and no boob" lady the same way. That description cracked me up! Honestly, I don't think I've ever even thought about it. You crack me up!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's funny! I wonder what the 10 year old's story sounded like when he got back to his table?!
    Who believes kids anyway, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard of stories like this so many times that every time I'm in a "new" restaurant I try hard to pay close attention because I'm afraid I'll do "the unthinkable" :D

    You locked out though ... 10 year old boy v/s a grown man ... good job!

    I wonder what his family thought of his side of the story :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Probably something like, "That man had the biggest boobs I have ever seen."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilarious! Did you really write, "certain purveyor of rotisserie chickens"?

    I was just as confused as you with the 10 year old walking in. Well written!

    When I was 8 months pregnant with Avee I was at a crowded movie theater (cheap theater in Provo) and walked into the men's room. The worst part about that was not the embarrassment, as much as it was my indignation and anger as I walked further and further into the men's room, seeing all these pervs and creeps completely violating my privacy. My only defense is, I was pregnant and like my husband so profoundly said about someone once, "She's either pregnant or crazy". I'm a lil' bit of both. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Glad it wasn't as bad as it could have been!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tears streaming down my face ... I SO needed that today!!! I agree with the previous commenter - I will NEVER look at the bald one in the ugly A-line dress with cankles and absolutely no boobs the same again! At least in Hawaii they put a lei around the neck on the sign :)

    ReplyDelete

Sock it to me!